Wednesday, April 23, 2008

One of the Sick.

On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Matthew 9:11-12)

Jesus came for the the sick, the broken, and the sinner. When He was telling this to the Pharisees He also told them to think on the phrase “I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” The heart of God is not in those who give things up for God, but for those who have mercy on other people. Jesus came to have mercy on a broken humanity.

It is easy for me to look at a verse like this one and think: “Yes I need to have mercy on those poor sinful people.” The truth is, when I really look at myself, that I am one of the sick. Jesus came to be my doctor because I could not heal myself.

Today I’m just glad for that.

God thank you that You loved me enough to send your Son because I was sick and broken. Although I don’t deserve Your mercy, You gave anyway. Help me to have the same attitude.

No comments: