Friday, July 6, 2007

Never Gonna be as Big as Jesus

I love my daily Bible reading. It's hard for me to blog about anything else... if your not in a habit of reading to communicate with God you should start.

Not because I said so or out of guilt. But because once you get going I promise you will tell me it's worth it.

Now we are in Hebrews Chapter 3...

"So, my dear Christian friends, companions in following this call to the heights, take a good hard look at Jesus. He's the centerpiece of everything we believe, faithful in everything God gave him to do. Moses was also faithful, but Jesus gets far more honor. A builder is more valuable than a building any day. Every house has a builder, but the Builder behind them all is God. Moses did a good job in God's house, but it was all servant work, getting things ready for what was to come. Christ as Son is in charge of the house." (Hebrews 3:1-6, The Message, Emphasis Mine)

I have been rethinking my theology in the last few years. This blog is a channel for my thinking in that way.

Most protestant theology and practice is Pauline in nature.

The Bible is intended, by the Holy Spirit, to be taken as a whole. So when I think of this passage, which is not written to be a commentary on Bible study, I do see that Jesus is the center of our faith.

This makes me rethink how I form doctrine. My core foundation should be: What did Jesus teach about that, and then how does Pauline theology support that.

I have the feeling that the end result of that would be on the side of love and grace for the non-believer and more repent or perish for the "religious".

We will explore this more as time goes on. Peace!

No comments: