Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Things God Hates.

Proverbs 6

16 There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him:

17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,

18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,

19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.

Each of these things that the LORD hates have the potential to harm other people. Some more than others, but it is clear that the things that God hates are the things that cause people to inflict pain and suffering on others, and usually the innocent.

I know that I should avoid all of these things, though I know that I have done some of them before and will likely do some of them again. More than that I should avoid the attitude that I am more important than the people around me. This attitude is the source of all these actions that God hates. Instead I should have the attitude of Jesus:

Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness. (Philippians 2:6-7)

Jesus teach me to have your attitude and think nothing of myself. Help me to choose to serve other people today. Amen.

No comments: