Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Theme Verse

From Pastor Mark Batterson's blog:

I decided to begin the new year by reading the book of Joshua. And one verse has become a theme verse for this year.

Let me make a confession: I don't feel like I spent enough time in the Word of God this past year. Based on my conversations with other pastors, I think most of us feel like we don't pray enough or read the Bible enough. And as a pastor, Bible study can become a professional endeavor. It is so easy to study the Bible for the wrong reasons. I can study it looking for what God wants to say through me instead of what God wants to do in me.

Joshua 1:7-8 says:

Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed.

If I'm reading this right, the key to success is studying the Bible. I know that sounds simplistic. But that is where we draw the strength and courage to do the things that will make us successful. Scripture isn't just inspired. It inspires! It is the source of strength and courage. And success is the byproduct.

Now here is a thought. I don't think the Bible was meant to be read. I think it was meant to be meditated. Meditation is a thoughtful or prayer reading. I came up with this little mantra few years ago: reading without meditating is like eating without digesting. If you don't meditate you lose all of the nutrients.

I'd encourage you to meditate on this verse and the Holy Spirit will inspire you. The end result will be a more intentional and consistent consumption of Scripture. And if you study His word, God promises success.

Here's to a successful 2008.

No comments: