Friday, June 29, 2007

We Should Know Better

I am doing my daily bible reading and we have hit the book of Titus. On a side note I am currently reading "The Message" paraphrase.

Paraphrases are not bad.

You just have to understand what you are reading. In the last few years I have read every word in the Bible several times in NIV. My brain has gotten to the point where I associate the language of the NIV with academic work. So my switch to The Message has given me a fresh view on the scriptures and engaged my mind in them in a way that I haven't felt for months. I just have to keep in mind that I am basically reading a commentary.

Here is the verse: "For there are a lot of rebels out there, full of loose, confusing, and deceiving talk. Those who were brought up religious and ought to know better are the worst." Titus 1:10 (Emphasis Mine)

This is Paul writing here to Titus who is leading a church on the Island of Crete (Context!). Cretans where known as liars and cheats (which is shown later in the chapter). This stereotype apparently had some truth to it as Paul addressed the issue as truth. The worst of all of these types of people in Paul's eyes where those who where brought up religious, the same kind of hypocrites that Jesus condemned!

This makes me think of a saying that I hear a lot: "You can't trust anyone."

We are becoming a culture of distrust. We assume that people are leading us on or trying to sell us something and to tell you the truth often this is true. I don't like that it is true... I would rather assume that people have good intentions, but often they don't. Those who were brought up or are a part of the Church are the worst. Hypocrite is a title I know that I have worn as well. Did I help that person to love them as Christ did or because I want them to come back to my event to make me look good? God sees my attitude and often so do members of my generation. We can't afford to have an agenda, instead we must learn to love like Jesus did. He loved the poor, the sick, and the one who was stuck in wrong behavior without qualification.

God help us to follow your example and do the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good passage. It emphasizes the need to be in transparent in what we do and why we do it. There is always a bottom line and we have to see the eternal perspective rather than the temporal. Thanks for the reminder!