Saturday, June 30, 2007

Don't be Weird.

Today you get another bit from my daily devotions and we are still in the book of Titus. So we will be keeping the same context as yesterday.

"But mostly, show them all this by doing it yourself, incorruptible in your teaching, your words solid and sane. Then anyone who is dead set against us, when he finds nothing weird or misguided, might eventually come around." Titus 2:7-8 (The Message, Emphasis Mine)

Paul just got done explaining to Titus how various people in the church should be living their lives. Titus is to be the one who is speaking out for solid doctrine. Paul makes it clear in this passage that he is not just to tell them how to live, but to live it out himself. The end result of this is that even some who are against them will end up being for them.

I've known a lot of weird Christians.

To often people take little points from the Bible and then do them in excess. This is something that Paul warns us about elsewhere. When you deal with people, especially those who are outside the faith, your teaching needs to be solid and sane.

You will notice that Paul says nothing about the need to verbally abuse anyone. Verbal abuse is what some Christians consider outreach. You know what I'm talking about so I won't go into detail. Outside of the context of this passage I would ask you to try to love people first! Makes them more receptive I promise! (Hint: It's what Jesus did.)

Keep your teaching solid. This requires knowing what you are talking about. Read the word. Find a translation you can read easily. (I recommend NLT or TNIV). Find a commentary or get a Bible with notes thats well known and respected, and learn what God has to say about stuff. I need to read more commentary's.

Keep your teaching sane. Keeping it sane is pretty simple for me. If Jesus didn't emphasize on it himself then I don't emphasize it to an unbeliever. I have to keep in mind that they don't think like I do. There is lots of stuff in the Bible that someone who is without God's Spirit will not understand. Culture Gap.

Oh... and here is a freebie. Don't expect those outside the faith to act like Christians K? It's pretty dumb when we do that.

God keep us solid and sane in how we represent you!

No comments: