Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Keep It Simple.

Jesus now called the Twelve and gave them authority and power to deal with all the demons and cure diseases. He commissioned them to preach the news of God's kingdom and heal the sick. He said, "Don't load yourselves up with equipment. Keep it simple; you are the equipment. And no luxury inns—get a modest place and be content there until you leave. If you're not welcomed, leave town. Don't make a scene. Shrug your shoulders and move on." Luke 9:1-5

This is from today's Daily Bible Reading and it made me think.

I have had people use this verse at me like a weapon. The Bible talks about itself in being a two-edged sword, but people are out of control. Really.

And then I want to verbally rip them a new one. (If you know what I mean... and if you don't please don't ask me to elaborate.) AND I can't because I understand that Jesus told me to turn the other cheek when people attack me.

It's not fair, but I digress.

So... context. I have been told that using audio and video in the way that many newer churches do is bad. And this is normally their proof-text. Which is funny because the Bible is in harmony with itself right? And this is the SAME Bible of Paul who said: I will become all things to all people so that I can win some.

So the example of Paul in the Bible is to become all things to all people to win some... but using tech and appealing to the post-modern generation is bad? 2+2 appears to = 5.

This verse is NOT talking about WHAT we use to reach people. Jesus is telling the ministers of the gospel how He wants them to live. Not how to reach people.

As a minister of the Gospel (which if you follow The Way you are as well) I am called to not think to much of myself and expect to live a cushy life. Though I am blessed and pretty much do, if God calls me out of it he expects me to be cool about it and not whine. Jesus was giving them the best advice at the time for what they were doing.

Much Love.

No comments: